Monday, May 01, 2006

School is Ending, Damn

There are only two weeks left of school not including one week of finals. It's going to be kind of strange not going to school for 3 months. College is more then just classes as I have expressed in an earlier blog. I'm going to miss this "intellectual" community. I am still going to live in Merced, but it is going to be disheartening to not see the same people everyday. Change is good (just like "greed" -- Wall Street), I love change but it's sometimes comforting to see the same people.

I still plan to be active in the intellectual community as my roommate has expressed interest in doing as well. I don't want to do nothing over the Summer. I want to keep my mind stimulated. I have a list of books I plan to read (knowing myself, I probably won't), a list of things I want to do, people I want to see, events I want to be part of.

Primary elections are coming up and I am working on the Angelines campaign. I went to the Democratic Convention on Saturday as a volunteer to fulfill the 10 hour minimum requirement for me political science class. I had so much fun at the convention. I saw my political science professor who was a delegate for Stanislaus county. I saw him twice that day, once in the beginning, and once before I left.

Yeah there is a lot corruption and scandal in politics and most politicians are corrupt, but I still enjoy politics. I enjoy being part of politics. I was talking with someone during the convention and he offered me a job because he realized how great of a student I am (narcissism rules). We exchanged business cards (my card being a piece of paper with my name and e-mail address) and went on our separate ways.

There was a "no war" protest in front of the convention center. Then there was a Uhaul truck that had signs posted that expressed the view against what happened to Teri Shiavo. I took a lot of pictures that day. I saw a scientology church, that was interesting.....

For my political science class we are supposed to write a 3 page essay on our volunteer work but I decided that a 3-page paper will not suffice. I am in the process of making a creative project which includes lots of pictures and cut outs and stickers and colors. It might seem really childish and unnecessary, but I don't care! I am tired of writing bland essays; I can not fully express myself in an essay. I need glue, color paper, ribbon, and markers. Even though the paper isn't worth as much work as I am going to put in, I will be happy that I did at least one creative assignment this semester. What's wrong with bringing out your 8 year old self in college? Nothing. It should actually be encouraged, but most students don't want to put in the work that goes into a creative project. I must admit, it is a lot easier to write a simple 5 page essay.

2 Comments:

Blogger elaine x said...

... summer, summer, summer time ... sit back and unwind ... yeah, scientology can be very interesting indeed ...

why politics are corrupt .... intellect. true intelligence comes from the heart, and the heart is anywhere but in politics -- unless, of course, you count the perfectly orchestrated emotional commerical or news conference every now and then.

people like talking about problems they don't have to face and how to fix them ... its easy to solve the world's problem ... and you don't even need to know their name and you can do it whether they want is or not.

its so simple to understand why we are in the poor societal condition we are under here in america. intellect goes a long way in discussing social ills, planning to eradicate those problems, and scheming and organizing to effect changes in society or the system. but connecting with each other ... that's where our solutions truly lie.

... while i'm a life-long republican ... if possible, i'm voting straight ticket green party. the whole thing has to change quickly ... and the green party is basically ... first things first ... let's make sure we can LIVE on the planet for more than one more generation and then let's look at how we can get along better. back to basics.

keep up the good work ... study hard for the finals!
peace & harmony,
elaine
'freedom must be exercised to stay in shape!'

1:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true that!


john

7:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home